Vatican Rules & Regulations - Know What You Can & Cannot Do
Vatican Rules & Regulations
• Please dress appropriately. Low cut or sleeveless clothing, shorts, miniskirts and hats are not allowed.
• Visitors to the Sistine Chapel are expected to maintain absolute silence.
• Vatican tickets can now only be booked online.
• The Vatican Museums strongly discourage the use of mobile phones and it is entirely forbidden in the Sistine Chapel.
• One can take photographs in the Vatican Museums for personal use. However, flash photography is prohibited. Also, no photography is allowed in the Sistine Chapel.
• The use of tripods, stands and professional photography equipment is not allowed
• Smoking is strictly prohibited on the Vatican grounds. This includes e-cigarettes as well.
• The use of laser pointers is prohibited inside the museum.
• The use of amplified microphone and speaking on loudspeaker is not permitted.
• Pets are not allowed inside the museum complex, except guide dogs for the blind that are equipped with a muzzle and lead.
• Consumption of food and beverages of any kind (alcoholic/non-alcoholic) is strictly prohibitted in the exhibition space.
• Umbrellas, tripods and stands for photography, video cameras, banners and signs of any type must all be left in the cloakroom.
• Visitors are required to leave all luggage, suitcases, rucksacks in the cloakroom.